Lower your ping!

Good raiding addons and general advice for better performance in raids.

06 Feb, 00:53

Update; Easier version - http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... cyFix.html

Code: Select all
When I started this game I had around 150 ping for a long time, but one guy showed me a trick that lowers your ping by quite a lot, it lowered mine to 50-85.
This guy no longer plays the game and with my new pc, this little trick isnt activated so Im back at 150 :(

Ive been searching the net to find this solution and might have found it, gonna link it here and let one of you computor genesis tell me if it looks legit :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fix has been circulating trough various forums for a while, and at first I must say I was a little sceptical about it actually working, but after I heard several friends who tried it successfully, I had to give it a shot and it actually lowered my 200 ping on the European realms to about 70. Basically it's deactivating the nagle algorithm to improve your ping.

Step 1 - TcpAckFrequency
NOTE if you are running Windows Vista this setting may not have any effect - a hotfix is needed which i'm tracking down. This works fine under Windows XP

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed in there, find the one you use to connect to the internet, there will be several interfaces listed (they have long names like {7DBA6DCA-FFE8-4002-A28F-4D2B57AE8383}. Click each one, the right one will have lots of settings in it and you will see your machines IP address listed there somewhere. Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TcpAckFrequency, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

You can change it back to 2 (default) at a later stage if it affects your other TCP application performance. it tells windows how many TCP packets to wait before sending ACK. if the value is 1, windows will send ACK every time it receives a TCP package.

Step 2 - TCPNoDelay
This one is pretty simple (Discussed here)

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TCPNoDelay, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

Click Ok and close the registry editor, then reboot your PC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think, will it work?
Dawn
Officer

06 Feb, 02:19

I think it sound like a very possible way to completely fuck up your connection unless you know what you're doing :D
Gyatsu
Officer

07 Feb, 03:41

I have to agree with Neo ;). Think i'l wait to test this until tomorrow when i have had some sleep. Though i don't think it will do much since i already have about 70-80 in ping.
Kolasås

07 Feb, 12:35

Theres a bit of a discussion about this working in windows 7.
The story to disable the Nagle's Algorithm makes sence to me. You can try this out, but make sure to make a backup from your registry key before addin or changing stuff. If it doesnt benefit in performance you can roll back the change.

I found one a bit different than the above, that should be for windows 7:

SOURCE: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/wind ... weaks-2574

Gaming Tweak - Disable Nagle's algorithm

The tweak below allows for tweaking or disabling Nagle's alogrithm. Disabling "nagling" allows for very small packets to be transferred immediately without delay. Note that disabling Nagle's algorithm is only recommended for some games, and it may have negative impact on file transfers/throughput. The dafault state (Nagling enabled) improves performance by allowing several small packets to be combined together into a single, larger packet for more efficient transmission. While this improves overall performance and reduces TCP/IP overhead, it may briefly delay transmission of smaller packets. Keep in mind that disabling Nagle's algorithm may have some negative effect on file transfers, and can only help reduce delay in some games. To implement this tweak, in the registry editor (Start>Run>regedit) find:

This setting configures the maximum number of outstanding ACKs in Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}
There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed there, for example: {1660430C-B14A-4AC2-8F83-B653E83E8297}. Find the correct one with your IP address listed. Under this {NIC-id} key, create a new DWORD value:
TcpAckFrequency=1 (DWORD value, 1=disable, 2=default, 2-n=send ACKs if outstanding ACKs before timed interval. Setting not present by default).

For gaming performance, recommended is 1 (disable). For pure throughput and data streaming, you can experiment with values over 2. If you try larger values, just make sure TcpAckFrequency*MTU is less than RWIN, since the sender may stop sending data if RWIN fills witout acknowledgement.

Also, find the following key (if present):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters
Add a new DWORD value:
TCPNoDelay=1 (DWORD value, 0 to enable Nagle's algorithm, 1 to disable, not present by default)

To configure the ACK interval timeout (only has effect if nagling is enabled), find the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}
TcpDelAckTicks=0 (DWORD value, default=2, 0=disable nagling, 1-6=100-600 ms). Note you can also set this to 1 to reduce the nagle effect from the default of 200ms without disabling it.

Notes:
Reportedly, the above gaming tweak (disabling nagle's algorithm) can reduce WoW (World of Warcraft) latency by almost half!
XP/2003 needs hotfix or SP2 for it to work (MS KB 815230)
Vista needs hotfix or SP1 for it to work (MS KB 935458)
Darque
Officer

08 Mar, 12:51

If you want some lower ping, use this: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... cyFix.html

much easier and smoother then the stuff posted above
Dawn
Officer